With great enthusiasm and moral support, the Greeks of Adelaide organised their foundation meeting on 5th October 1930, at the Panhellenion Club, 122 Hindley Street. It was at this location where the first management council was elected under the leadership of President Konstantinos Kavouras. Consequently, a number of significant events took place around that time, including the appointment of officials, registration of the Community as a corporate body; accrual of significant funds, that in early 1931 led to the appointment of the first school committee and initiation of the first Greek language school in Adelaide.
The construction of the Church of Taxiarchis, the first Greek Orthodox church in Adelaide, was a significant accomplishment for the Greeks of this city, which according to the presiding officer Michael Kambouris (1936-1945): "the church was built with three-penny bits". The Church gave meaning and purpose to the Community, and the Greeks longed to awaken from the sound of its bell on Sunday mornings and festive days.
In 1940, the Greek Orthodox Community was well established, and throughout the next decade, the organisation became instrumental in fortifying the fight of Greeks and allied forces against fascism and Nazism.
The fundraising committee that was founded during these difficult years of the Second World War, as well as the Enlightenment Committee and the Red Cross Greek Circle, collected donations and coordinated fundraising activities for war victims.
- By March 1941, over 90,000 pounds worth of aid were sent from Australia to Greece, mainly in the form of clothing, food and medical supplies.
- By the end of 1946, this figure had risen to one million pounds.
- The contribution of the Community toward this total sum was significant.
These activities resulted in strengthening the Community greatly, by increasing the number of members from 100 to 275 during 1940-1944. The result of this increased membership was also reflected in the funds collected, and consequently, led to the purchase of the two houses neighbouring the Church in 1942.
In the post-war period, the Community's activities were directed to support various other Greek organisations, to successfully complete cultural and/or sporting events, charity fund-raisers and so on. The result was that these organisations in return also supported the Community.
- In 1948, the Community purchased the land for its future "Hellenic Community Centre", later named the "Olympic Hall", where we are currently standing. The enthusiasm and zeal were so high amongst all members during the construction of this Community Centre that were likened to a popular movement.
- By the end of 1957, the Olympic Hall was complete and was handed over to the Greek people.
From the day of its inauguration, the Community Centre has never ceased to serve the community, meeting numerous community needs, by hosting dances, concerts, receptions, films, theatrical performances, educational seminars, as well as offering Greek language education to the youth and invaluable social services.