In 1952 the Australian government completed an agreement with the Inter-Governmental Committee for European Migration and the Greek government. From this arrangement, selected workers and families were able to come to Australia as assisted immigrants. The Australian Council of Churches also began a migrant-aid scheme of its own. In 1953 the council made travel loans available to many Greeks who wanted to settle in Australia.
During the early 1950s the ratio of Greek males to females in Australia was 5 to 1. As a result, in the following years, young single Greek women were given special assistance to come to Australia. Some were sponsored by Greeks already settled here. Many of these young women married Greek men and established families.
At this time the Greek Orthodox Community of South Australia had a membership of approximately 3,500. The community needed a centre which could accommodate the needs of its members. After a period of fundraising the Greek Community Centre was opened in 1957. The centre is a large, multipurpose building, consisting of Olympic Hall and numerous rooms used for educational, cultural and social activities. Greek South Australians used these facilities to assist post-war refugees who were arriving in Adelaide. They helped new arrivals with language, health, legal, educational and employment problems.